Since spring has officially sprung and summer is just around the corner, we know that many of you are making plans to have your engagement photos taken. Get excited, because today we have just the advice you’ve been looking for! We compiled our expert experiences into one concise set of tips that is sure to be your recipe for portrait session success.
1. Location, location, location! One of the keys to unique engagement photos is a unique photo location. While parks and gardens will always make for beautiful backdrops, don’t be afraid to think outside the box! Do some research ahead of time to find out what hidden gems your city has to offer.
2. Come comfortable & ready to pose. This is something you probably wouldn’t have thought of until the middle of your session, so you can thank us later for telling you now! Having confidence in your engagement photo style is super important, however you’ll definitely want to make sure that your outfit choices provide enough comfort for all posing situations. The more poses you are able to do, the more variety you will have in your photos.
3. Accessorize. A portrait session is the perfect excuse to take your obsession with accessories to the next level! Sure, you may not normally wear a flower crown, but nothing says “fairy tale” more than incorporating one into your session with a whimsical woodland backdrop. Think about where you will be taking your photos and how a carefully selected accessory could enhance the final product.
4. Don’t forget the save-the-date! We’ve said this time and time again, but it’s always worth repeating -- Taking a save-the-date shot will be well worth it! We can’t think of a better way to get your friends and family even more excited for your big day.
5. Include the furry members of your family. It’s no secret that we adore dogs here at George Street, and we know that many of you do too! How better to commemorate your engagement than including your beloved pets in your session? (HINT! You may want to bring a friend or family member along to hold onto your pooches while you pose for some photos without them.)
6. Pretty colors are everywhere. So seek them out and use them as much as you can! It’s amazing what a simple colored backdrop can do to the look and feel of an image.
7. Umbrellas, bikes & balloons, oh my! If there’s one thing we love just as much as dogs in engagement photos, it’s props. Keep your eyes peeled at your local craft, home or thrift store for the perfect item that could add a little bit of extra “wow” to your portrait session!
One last bit of advice -- Don’t forget to HAVE FUN! Your engagement session is meant to celebrate your decision to marry the love of your life, so don’t be shy about letting your excitement show. Nothing makes for better photos than a couple who is head-over-heels for each other and having an incredible time!